Wednesday, September 06, 2006

That Independent thing

THis weekend was the 2nd time I've been in the independent.
The first time they aske me to write a letter to the American people during their elections stating who they should vote for. That episode was the reason for the song, Singing Myself To Sleep. come to a gig and hear the whole story....
Anyway, this time it was about the fifth aniversay of 9/11. It was a good article but they got one REALLY important thing wrong.
Forgiveness is at the heart of the christian faith. During the days after 9/11 I was really challanged by the Jesus saying ,"Pray for your enemies and forgive those that persecute you."
It was like, "God! You want me to forgive them?!" Now, although I'm not totally there, I'm not saying , as the Independent said, that I cannot do that. I do pray for these guys and I do try to forgive. I'm not totally there but then I'm not totally there with the western armies that seem to find adiquate retribution in the slaughter of innocent people in the name of the War On Terror.
To me that's as bad, if not worse.
Coventry, the city i live in is known as a centre of reconciliation and it's fitting for me to look at the bombeb out cathedral and the healing that's happened since the war and realise that it's the same now. We need to forgive, understand and be reconciled. That's the only way to sort this out.
Will it happen?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home